As the only one of the 14th century Gothic suburb churches, St. George’s was erected as double-naved structure with a straight eastern side. In the inside several features stand out: the archways to the northern aisle, the late Gothic retable showing the coronation of the Virgin Mary, and the carefully integrated two-storey organ gallery dating back to 1909. St. George’s Church is located near a former crossing of the river Unstrut where the original settlement of Mühlhausen was founded. The settlement’s name was later transferred to the Ottonic royal palace and eventually to the Imperial City.
Georgii est la seule des églises gothiques de banlieue du 14ème siècle à avoir été construite avec deux nefs et une terminaison droite à l'est. A l'intérieur, on est particulièrement impressionné par les arcades donnant sur la nef latérale nord, le retable d'autel de style gothique tardif avec couronnement de la Vierge et la tribune d'orgue à deux étages de 1909, harmonieusement insérée. Les environs de St. Georgii, près du passage de l'Unstrut, marquent la colonie d'origine "Mühlhausen", qui a transmis son nom au palais royal ottonien tout proche et plus tard à la ville impériale.
Als einzige der gotischen Vorstadtkirchen des 14. Jahrhunderts wurde St. Georgii als zweischiffiger Bau mit geradem Ostabschluss errichtet. Im Inneren beeindrucken besonders die Arkaden zum nördlichen Seitenschiff, das spätgotische Altarretabel mit Marienkrönung und die harmonisch eingefügte doppelstöckige Orgelempore von 1909. Das Umfeld von St. Georgii nahe des Unstrut-Übergangs markiert die ursprüngliche Siedlung „Mühlhausen“, die ihren Namen auf die nahe ottonische Königspfalz und später auf die Reichsstadt übertragen hat.